And so the days are filled...

29 June 2007

Congratulations SOH!

I've often wondered about the uncanny ability of Jorn Utzon, who is Danish, to express so fully another nation's best hopes for itself.

We've talked before about what it's like to visit the Sydney Opera House, the only building which has ever moved me to tears. Today, the Sydney Opera House was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.

Though I've debated with colleagues and friends for years about whether it should be World-heritage listed (usually I argued the negative side quite vehemently), I cannot help but feel an inexplicable joy that this building has been recognised as something which contributes to the human experience and consciousness in the deepest possible sense.

In all the media announcements about the listing, I was most struck by a quote by another architect I admire, Louis Kahn, who said of the Opera House, "The sun did not know how beautiful its light was, until it was reflected off this building."

While I drift away in an architecturally-induced bliss, please entertain yourselves over at the Tour de France KAL!