And so the days are filled...

05 September 2005

Zen and the art of ...

There's not much to report on the knitting front but I thought what with Grumperina's and Jacqueline's reminiscing about their craft 'roots', this quotation from Akira Yoshizawa (widely acknowledged as the father of modern origami, who died last March; you can read his amazing life story here) would be apt to share:

"Most people think that the word "handicrafts" means crafts done with the hands. I disagree. Applying oneself to one's craft with commitment and passion, paying respect to one's ancestral heritage, taking enjoyment in the company of one's friends and colleagues, living a life that is healthy and wholesome -- in my mind, these things are at the core of what we know as handicrafts."

Origami is what I'm doing with my hands when I'm not knitting, though I haven't done any in a long while. Pictured above is an origami chilli ristra I made for a relation who lives in New Mexico, where ristras containing dried chillis are hung up in kitchens and on back patios all over the place. The photo is blurry but perhaps you can see why I am proud of this as one of my best origami creations.