And so the days are filled...

10 October 2005

Here's one I prepared earlier

arty shot by AshleyHere's another FO to report but for the most part it was made pre-blog. I think I've been working on it off and on for a year. The pattern is from a VK magazine (I'm so sick of looking at it that I haven't even bothered to note the issue but it's from circa autumn or winter 2003) and the concept was for a relaxed jumper for my mum to wear post-yoga or post-tai chi or post-massage or post-relaxing activity that when it ends you tend to get a slight chill... The mum lives in a not-too-cold climate and takes part in these activities, so a light jumper which allows some air to circulate through seems just the trick.
I wish both parts of this sentece could be true: I tell ya I am SO PLEASED it is done and more importantly it FITS!! *

svelteBut sadly only the first part is accurate. Strangely, this is the first time I've ever got gauge using the yarn and needle size called for in a pattern. When finished, the pieces were all exactly the right measurement with minimal blocking required. But when I sewed it all up, the result seemed a little too big. My mum is taller than I am and she is a bit more, shall I say, svelte, and this jumper is long and large on me. So I think I'm going to have to invoke the sacred rule of a mother's love for everything hand made by her child with this one. It's going to be a Christmas gift, so I will report back all the nice things my mum says about it in December!

drop stitch closeup
I would never make this again, but if I were going to rewrite the pattern, I would note for the knitter that one should knit the stitches on either side of the dropped stitch TBL. They have obviously done this in the photographed example of the jumper in the magazine, but in the days pre-Clapotis, I didn't really recognise this or even consider it. As a result my drop-stitch pattern is a little loose and messy. But that's ok! Because this is a relaxed, calm, fun, and happy jumper made to be worn in a relaxed, calm, and happy state of mind post-yoga, remember?
So there it is folks, one of those projects that went on for too long. I can't bear to include all the gory details such as which yarn, what needles - so if you're really keen to find out more, check my Photo Finish album in a couple of days.

* This is the fifth sentence from Taryn's 23rd post. She tagged me for the 5th sentence/23rd post meme, but I had already been zapped by Jacqueline. So I promised Taryn I would use HER 5th sentence as the 5th sentence in my 23rd post. I knew I was going to have to have a FO to report, given the content of her sentence...so I worked like a dog all weekend to bring you this FO just because I knew I was up to my 23rd post. Great motivation!