And so the days are filled...

28 November 2005

I have gazed into Melbourne...Melbourne has gazed into me

Unlike Brother Theodore, Melbourne and I liked what we saw. Generally, a good time was had by all over the weekend in Melbourne. The adventure leader Jacqueline collected me from the safe confines of my hotel and took me on a wild spree to two of Melbourne's finest yarn shops (where my guide was, not surprising, very well known to and happily greeted by all the staff). Along the way I also got to see several other interesting sites (which I will not divulge here, just keep watching Serendipity for more Minutes in Melbourne)... At the end of the day, I didn't even blow my budget, although it did take me some time to get my bearings (and perspective) in the magical wonderland of Marta's Yarns. (And, as Jac pointed out, needles don't count in the yarn expenditure stakes.) So what did I get and what will I make with it??? Here's a picture.
The red is 2-ply merino that Jacqueline herself was so taken with she even bought some months ago just for stash (very unlike her). This red is truly a siren's song calling yarn mariners from afar to take in its alluring hues. Even though at first encounter, I was thinking this yarn might be used to make a shawl for someone other than me, now (after more time in its glowing presence) I am thinking it is destined to adorn my wardrobe in some way, someday, in some form.
The blueish yarn is 8-ply wool which similarly called to me but from the outset I knew it would be made into something for me and only me! Watch this space in future to find out what it will be. I too am interested in finding out what it will seem to need to be made into - I'm sure the yarn will give me a sign...