And so the days are filled...

05 December 2005

A tale of international cooperation...with fringe

Finally I have something to report as finished...but it's not really my work so don't take this as evidence of any productivity chez Meg. You might recall the Stitch Ya Neck Out swap that I joined ages ago now. I sent off five balls of Cleckheaton Country to a lovely lass in America, and a few weeks later it came back turned into most of a Forbes Forest scarf. I say 'most of' because the five balls I sent fell a bit short in creating a proper scarf length. Although Grumperina generously offered to knit another two balls up, she reported that she was having such fun with this pattern I decided I needed to check it out for myself. So we agreed that Grumperina would return the scarf to me with the live stitches on a bit of waste yarn so I could add to it to my heart's content.
Of course when one is at the yarn shop purchasing yarn to make up the shortfall in a project (why do I find myself in this particular situation quite a lot of the time???), one always buys one or two extra balls of yarn, and this is in fact what I did in this instance. While knitting up the two extra balls that Grumperina correctly predicted would be required to bring the scarf up to an acceptable length, I thought I might as well add a fringe, since I've got a whole additional ball of yarn. Even if I do say so myself, I think the fringe just makes the scarf - without it, the Forbes Forest is a bit bulky and heavy. The fringe serves to lighten the whole thing up and give it some flow, from beginning to end.
My knitting is a little different from Grumperina's, but I think this is only evident upon close inspection. Oh, and I made one cable crossing error, I admit. But overall, I think the experiment of one person beginning and another ending a project has worked out very well here.
Not being a scientist (and being demonstrably bad with numbers) I didn't have the heart to work out the exact number of bobbles, popcorns, and cable crossings I did in addition to Grumperina's calculations. Once I memorised the pattern, I too absolutely loved working on it. Grumperina's tips for Annie Modesitt's bobbles and popcorns which do not require turning the work were very much appreciated. And of course, one would go stark raving mad knitting this scarf without the cable needle-less crossings.
Since the scarf is destined to spend the next few months in the winter clothes storage bin, I only gave it a light steam block to get it to lie flat for now. When it comes out for its winter debut, I will give it a more thorough block, which I imagine will disguise the different knitters' sections even more. I am really looking forward to wearing it come winter.
Jac and Kris have been thanked by many but I'll add my voice to the clamour - we love this swap idea (how many people answered SYNO as their favourite swap on Carolyn's meme? More people than I even realised were part of the swap!). Please please please can we do it all again soon????