And so the days are filled...

20 March 2006

As close as Cherono

What a weekend it has been in the Commonwealth Games! Knitting athletes are flocking in droves to become part of this special event. Our reporter-on-the-street in Melbourne, Jacqueline, was there in the stands to witness the finish of the Women's Marathon event on Saturday - the closest women's marathon finish ever on history! (and, I'm told, if you take into account the men, the 3rd closest finish ever!)

Meanwhile, back on my couch, I am oh-so-close to finishing the body of Fiver's Leo. I'm as close as Hellen Cherono, the Kenyan runner who took silver in the women's marathon. I'm so close I could try on the jumper myself last night. (Fiver had already gone to bed. Seems women's weightlifting isn't really his cup of tea. Come to think of it, maybe that's a good thing - he might start expecting me to lift really heavy things around the house...) The good news is, I think Leo fit Fiver just fine. The bad news is, it's a little too big for me, so no sneaking in and borrowing particular pieces of alpaca clothing. ("But I made it!" seems perfect justification to me for that kind of behaviour. Especially when it gets cold out, like it was hinting at this morning in the pre-dawn hours. When are the clocks falling back anyway!? Oh yeah, that's right, they've extended daylight savings for the Commonwealth Games...)

But before there is too much dancing in the streets, a quick look at the Games Calendar reminded me that this is no drawn-out 16-day Olympic affair - oh no, this is a snappy little ELEVEN DAY-er. So completion by the closing ceremony is not a foregone conclusion by any means. Now that I have you on the edge of your seat, stay tuned for all the latest Leo developments as they unfold.....